The county town of Northumberland, delightfully situated amid beautiful scenery, on the south bank of the river, from which it derives its name, 5 miles from the German Ocean, and has a station three miles west from Alnmouth Junction station on the North-eastern railway.
The Common council and Freemen of the town support a large classical mathematical and commercial school: the Town Hall, anciently called the ‘Tollbooth’ (west of the Market Place), weigh House and a public clock. They also agreed to spend no less than £3500 on education. The freemen consist of ten companies, viz: - Cordwainers, Skinners and Glovers, Merchants, Tanners, Weavers, Blacksmiths, Butchers, Joiners, Tailors and coopers.
Large sums of money have been expended on sewage and water supplies for the District. They have also erected an isolation hospital and public slaughter houses. An abundant supply of good water is brought from Tuffy’s well, a distance of about 3 miles and from Rugley springs and water is carried into all the houses. A gas company was first formed in 1825, with works in Cannongate and a new works on South Road. There is an electric power station, both for lighting and motor power.
The assembly rooms consists of an open colonnade surrounds the lower stage. The Corn Exchange which lies off the main street was opened in 1862 is also used for concerts, theatricals and public meetings.
The County Police Station is in Green Bat was erected in 1807 and contains cells and separate yards for the prisoners.
The Savings Bank, in St Michael’s Lane was established in 1816. Lloyd’s Bank Limited occupies premises in Bondgate. The Scientific and Mechanical Institution, founded in 1824, occupies premises in Percy Street. The library contains a library and a billiard room.
The Alnwick Baths and Wash houses and Laundry in Clayport street, were built in 1874
The Pinfold, or Pound, is an oval green enclosure fenced in by a stone wall and situated at the east end of Green Bat. It belongs to the Corporation who appoint a keeper.
Alnwick is the headquarters of the 7th Territorial Force of the Northumberland Fusiliers. Their headquarters is the drill hall at the back of Fenkle Street.
The town is well built, the houses and public buildings being chiefly constructed of freestone and many of them are of considerable elegance; the streets are spacious and well-paved, which are served with a considerable number of pants.
The trade of the town is chiefly dependant upon the surrounding agricultural district and the wealthy families in the neighbourhood. There are two tobacco and snuff manufactories and several breweries and corn mills.
The market is held every Saturday and the hiring fairs usually the first week in March, first Monday in May and the first Saturday in November.